- You will listen to 5 stories. Your task is to match the pictures with the numbers of stories. (Вы услышите 5 описаний достопримечательностей Лондона. Установите соответствие между описаниями 1 – 5 и картинками, данными в списке A – F. Используйте каждую картинку, обозначенную буквой, только один раз. В задании есть одна лишняя картинка. Вы услышите описания дважды. Занесите свои ответы в таблицу в листе ответов.)
1) Itisveryold. It has a long and cruel history. You can see it from the river Thames. It has twenty towers. Many years the Kings and the Queens of Britain lived in this place. (The Tower of London)
2) It stands near the Houses of Parliament. It is really a bell. It weighs 13,720 kilograms. It has a deep tone and you can hear it on the radio. It is a famous clock. (Big Ben)
3) It is not far from the Houses of Parliament. It is a symbol of England. It was founded by St. Peter and built by King Edward in 1065. Some famous English people are buried there. (Westminster Abbey)
4) The tall column stands in its middle. It is a monument of Admiral Nelson. Four bronze lions look at the square from the monument. There are two beautiful fountains on it. (Trafalgar Square)
5) It is a very beautiful building. It is a place where the British Queen Elizabeth lives when she is in London. (BuckinghamPalace)
- Next task for you is to arrange the sentences in a logical order and act out the dialogue. (СЛАЙД 15)
You are welcome. Have a nice day. (6)
Good. Go along that street it will lead you to Trafalgar Square. (4)
Yes, I can. (3)
Oh, it’s very easy. Can you see that street over there? (2)
Thank you very much. (5)
Excuse me, could you tell me how to get to Trafalgar Square. (1)
(После проверки задания заслушиваются 2-3 диалога.)
- Did you like the lesson? What did you like to do? Your home task for the next lesson will be to read the text and do some exercises on your work sheets.
You have worked great today. Your marks are…Our lesson is over. Good- bye.
ST. PAULʼS CATHEDRAL
masterpiece – шедевр
Whispering Gallery – Галереяшепота
аcoustiс – акустика
Dome – купол
service – служба
St. Paul’s Cathedral is one of the symbols of London. A great English architect Sir Christopher Wren built it. He designed many churches across England but St. Paul’s Cathedral is his masterpiece. It took Christopher Wren 35 years to build it. The work was completed in 1710. The cathedral is 175 m long and 111 m high. The interior of the cathedral is beautiful. There are a lot of mosaic decorations. St. Paul’s Cathedral is famous for the Whispering Gallery. It has unique acoustic. If you whisper anything on one side of the gallery, your words will be heard very clearly on the other side. To get to the gallery we will have to climb 263 steps. If you are not tired and ready to climb another 118 steps, you will be able to stand outside the Dome and enjoy a fantastic view over London.
St. Paul’s Cathedral is a place for many state ceremonies. Every year a special service is held on the occasion of the Monarch’s birthday.